M-Catering Off-Site Catering Policies(events hosted in places other than within University Unions facilities)
All catered events are subject to:
- $300.00 minimum food and beverage sales per meal period (multiple trucking fees may apply)
- $100.00 minimum on food and beverage sales for Student Group drop off events only (delivery timeframe based on Catering Manager’s discretion, within one hour time period) (Sunday require $500.00 minimum on food and beverage sales for student events only)
- Pick up ONLY events that are small in revenue and are specific to student groups are encouraged and have no minimum. Can be picked up from League (Maizies), Pierpont (Blue Market-Pierpont Commons), Union (Blue Market Union).
- State of Michigan sales tax – commercial groups
- 20% service fee ($35.00 minimum gratuity)
- $35 delivery/trucking fee for orders less than $500, charge based on number of truck runs (for all Non-Union Buildings)
- Orders placed for Sunday-only events that are not part of a larger, multi-day event require a minimum.
- $300.00 per day minimum food and beverage sales
- $750.00 Sunday minimum food and beverage sales
- Private Home Delivery based on $1,000.00 minimum food and beverage sales
- Orders received within three (3) business days of an event will be assessed a rush fee of $50.
- Orders placed within 72 hours of event start time are subject to $750.00 food and beverage sales minimum.
In order to comply with local health department regulations, all perishable left-overs must be discarded by Michigan Catering. Michigan Catering works closely with Food Gatherers and Maize and Blue Pantry to donate unused food items. All prices are subject to change. Food and beverage pricing can be confirmed a maximum of two months in advance with menu selection. Hours of operation and access restrictions vary widely across campus. Please ensure that accurate details are communicated to your event manager at the time of booking to ensure timely service.
Accurate counts and meal designations help to optimize service. The final guaranteed count must be provided a minimum of six (7) business days prior to the event. The final charge will be based on the guaranteed count or actual number served, whichever is greater.
While reasonable effort will be made to minimize cancellation charges, groups will be held responsible for all charges incurred as a result of any commitments made to facilitate the event. Events canceled within three business days may be charged up to 100% of the total estimated food and beverage charges.
In addition to full service, Michigan Catering offers the following types of limited service. Please discuss your event needs with your Event Manager to determine the most appropriate service for your needs.
DROP OFF SERVICE (served with compostable items) The trays and utensils (disposables) provided with your food-only deliveries are yours to keep or dispose of at your leisure. Drop off subject to delivery/trucking fees.
PICK-UP ORDERS All pick-up orders will be presented on disposable products. Pick-ups can occur M-F, 8am-7pm at Pierpont Commons, Michigan League and Michigan Union. Subject to 5% gratuity.
For commercial events, funds to adequately cover the balance of all estimate charges must be paid two weeks in advance of the event in the form of:
Payments may be made in the form of:
- a check or money order payable to "the Regents of the University of Michigan" or
- a Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover credit card payment (via Nelnet)
All refunds will be distributed in the same form as payment method after accounting is complete.
University Departments and student organizations must pay with a University Short Code.
Student organizations must deposit adequate funds to cover all charges in their S.O.A.S. accounts no later than one week prior to the scheduled function.
Michigan Catering’s Off-Site Catering does not hold an off premise catering liquor permit. The client is therefore responsible for providing the alcohol and the special license. A special license is not required if all of the following conditions apply:
- the event is free of charge
- the event is by invitation only (not open to the public)
- no regular liquor inventory is kept
- the event must be monitored by a designated responsible individual, and all servers are TAM-certified
Full Catering and Alcohol Service
When Michigan Catering is contracted for the catered food in addition to the service of the client-provided alcohol, the following charges apply:
- $100 set up fee per bar - this fee covers all bartenders, disposable glasses, ice, and garnishes. Glassware available for rental.
- 1 hour of bartender service is included with setup fee
- For each additional hour of service there will be a supplemental $25 per hour per bartender
Alcohol Service Only
When Michigan Catering is contracted solely for the service of client-provided alcohol, the following charges apply:
- Off-site Host Bar Set up (Alcohol Service Only) $250/hour
- Additional Bartender hours $100/hour
- Staff Stay Trucking fee $35.00
Wine Service Only
With this option, we are contracted to hand pass or serve client-provided wines as part of dinner service. Glassware available for rental.
We are happy to offer bartending services and facilitate orders and deliveries, but all alcohol must be paid for separately from Michigan Catering. By law our staff is not permitted to receive, purchase or transport alcohol; this is the responsibility of the client.
All Michigan Catering bartenders are trained in and observe the "Techniques of Alcohol Management".
An off–site bar service agreement must be signed.