On-Premise Catering Policies(Events hosted within University Unions facilities)
All catered events are subject to:
- $35.00 minimum food and beverage sales
- State of Michigan sales tax
- 18% Gratuity
- Effective May 1, 2018:
- Orders received within three (3) business days of an event will be assessed a late fee of $50. For example, an order received on Tuesday for a Friday event or Thursday for a Monday event would be charged a rush fee.
While every effort will be made to accommodate last minute requests, in order to ensure quality of food and service, we prefer a minimum of one week notice for events. Ideally, food and beverage should be confirmed three weeks prior to the event date.
All prices are subject to change. Food and beverage pricing can be confirmed a maximum of two months in advance with menu selection.
Due to health department regulations, leftover perishable foods may not be removed from any event by anyone except food service staff. This policy addresses public safety concerns and is non-negotiable. (Examples of acceptable items to remove: whole fruit, baked goods, canned sodas). Michigan Catering works closely with Food Gatherers to donate unused food items.
All food menus are based upon a 90 minute service period. Food items will be removed at the end of the service period to ensure food quality.
Accurate counts and meal designations help to optimize service. The final guaranteed count must be provided a minimum of six business days prior to the event. The final charge will be based on the guaranteed count or actual number served, whichever is greater.
While reasonable effort will be made to minimize cancellation charges, groups will be held responsible for all charges incurred as a result of any commitments made to facilitate the event. Events canceled within three business days may be charged up to 100% of the total estimated food and beverage charges.
Commercial events may require a minimum food and beverage expenditure (tax and gratuity not included) based on venue, day of week and time of day. Please see an Event Service Representative for specifics. Six months prior to the event, if a food and beverage minimum is applied, a payment of 50% of the food and beverage minimum is due.
Six days prior to the event, funds to adequately cover the balance of all charges including catering and audio/visual services must be paid in the form of:
Payments may be made in the form of:
- a check or money order payable to "the Regents of the University of Michigan" or
- a Visa, Master Card, American Express or Discover credit card payment (via Nelnet)
When possible, all refunds will be distributed in the same form as payment method after accounting is complete.
University Departments and student organizations must pay with a University Short Code.
Student organizations must deposit adequate funds to cover all charges in their S.O.A.S. accounts no later than one week prior to the scheduled function.
For served meals an additional $1.00 per person will be charged when multiple entrees are offered. A vegetarian entrée option and children’s meal option are available without the added fee.
As a licensed facility, University Unions is subject to all rules and regulations of the State of Michigan's Liquor Control Commission. No alcohol, other than that provided by University Unions, may be served within our facilities. Additionally, no alcohol can be removed from the event room or University Unions facilities.
At all events where alcohol is to be served, the facility management will notify the host of any special conditions deemed necessary when the final beverage arrangements are made. Special conditions include but are not limited to:
- Department of Public Safety officers and/or faculty/staff chaperones
- non-transferable identification procedures (i.e. wrist banding)
- cash bar service only.
All associated expenses will be the responsibility of the hosting organization
At all events where alcohol is to be present, food of a substantial nature must be provided for the guests by the host. For receptions, food of a substantial nature is equivalent to a minimum of three hors d'oeuvre portions per person attending the event for each hour of bar service.
Bar service is limited to four hours. For events including a full meal service, one hour of wine service may be added during meal service. Bar service may begin no earlier than one hour prior to meal service and must end one hour prior to the end of the event.
Due to the scope of the liquor licenses; changes to alcohol service times may only be accommodated under strict circumstances.
- If the request is submitted prior to the event start, we have the option to adjust the contract.
- If the request is submitted after the event start, the change may only be approved by the Catering Director based on availability of TAM certified staff and the review and acceptance of any applicable charges.
- Under no circumstances can the overall alcohol service time exceed 5 hours of service or extend beyond the room reservation hours.
All bartenders are trained in and observe the "Techniques of Alcohol Management." In an effort to maintain the health and safety of guests the following parameters apply to alcohol service:
- All drinks must be served with the appropriate amounts of mixers and ice. No straight shots of any liquor or combination
- of three or more liquors will be served. All beer, wine and mixed drinks will be provided in individual servings.
In regard to alcohol service, University Unions reserves the following rights:
- to limit the maximum number of drinks an individual may purchase at one time.
- to deny alcoholic beverage service to anyone at any time.
- to recheck ID's.
- to shut down alcohol service entirely.